Thursday, September 13, 2012

Show or Tell?

     Some of the students in my Rhet 105 class seem to only comprehend the concepts set before them when they have a sample in which to model from, others seem to do better with detailed verbal instruction. And still others ask what "exactly" is required from me? Even after we have gone through the material multiple times. Up until recently, I had only discussed the wider goals of the semester briefly and done a quick exercise to introduce the writing process. We had been focusing mainly on the Observation essay. Realizing that several seemed lost, and kept thinking of this assignment as a stand alone essay, I decided to back up a bit and readdress how this first assignment fit in with the longer term  goals and how it fit into the overall writing process. I broke the semester into a step-by-step diagram for the visual learners, illustrating how each unit, and each essay assignment would inform the desired skill set promoted by the next. I let them know that Observation Essay was to teach them how to create research questions, not conclusions, and that we would next take these questions and start shaping them into exigent and researchable topics.



     This realization of how I had originally failed to give a broader context to the current course is what I interpreted the passage from the Wood, Bruner, & Ross article quoted by Sara to describe, or at least as it applied to my situation as a new teacher.
     I think that the scaffolding design laid out in the Common Syllabus works to the advantage of both the students and new instructors with little experience in curriculum design and lesson planning. I agree, however, that the Common Syllabus serves best as a reference guide rather than a strict, unyeilding agenda. The pace of learning needs room for some flexibility.
     On the topic of class size and individual levels of competence, I think the strategy of group work is beneficial. Students with more understanding helping those with less. It might help to keep students ahead of the curve from losing interest, foster camaraderie, and bring along those less adept a bit faster. I also like the multi-modal approach to engage differing learning styles. The variety of instruction improves attentiveness.
     I also found that my students were less than enthusiastic about the Etext ---- most of them stated a preference for a hardcopy text.

Writing Process Rap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNk41LZoxAs

(Warning! Not all that impressive, but it did remind me of a few of my students)

No comments:

Post a Comment